Perfect walk if you're looking for an afternoon delight. Find the most popular mountain parks to visit during your stay. 112 in the city, Snowing at Mt. The race starts in the historic mining town of Idaho Springs at an altitude of 7,540 feet and finishes at 14,130 feet, 141 feet below Mount Evans' summit. May, 2002: Evans' north face seen from Summit Lake. Evans. It was very challenging as these were my 2nd and 3rd 14ers, the sawtooth was a daunting experience that I’m glad to have under my belt. Want to stay in the know on Denver happenings? Have some compassion and perspective. Summit Lake is nestled into a glacial cirque between the north face of Mount Evans and the east face of Mount Spalding. Silver Dollar Lake and Murray Lake Trail [CLOSED], Mount Evans Summit Trail Via Mount Evans Road, Mount Evans and Mount Spalding Loop Trail, Mount Bierstadt, The Sawtooth, and Mount Evans Loop, Mount Bierstadt and Mount Evans from Guanella Pass Rd, Abyss Lake via Guanella Pass & Rosalie Trail, Tour de Abyss Loop- Mount Evans, Bierstadt East Ridge, to Sawtooth, Summit Lake to Upper Chicago Lake via Chicago Lakes Trail, Mount Bierstadt East Ridge, Abyss Lake and Abyss Trail Loop, Mount Wilcox, Argentine Peak and Square Top Mountain, Mount Spaulding and Mount Evans via Summit Lake - Standard Route, https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD746971. Note you may be coerced to pay a toll fee (fee demonstration program) now that has increased to $15 (as of 2019) or have a Parks Pass ($80) with the $15 hologram add on to make it a Golden Eagle Pass. We couldn't make it all the way to Mount Evans because that part of the road was closed in October but we made it to echo lake and it was truly beautiful. It lies in a cirque formed by Mount Evans and Mount Spalding with rocky ridges and cliffs rising from the lake to … Explore the Rocky Mountain foothills on a 40-mile loop including Golden, Morrison and Evergreen and attractions like Red Rocks, museums and dinosaur tracks. I’ll start by saying the views of this hike were amazing. Hikers will reach treeline just shy of 5 miles into the hike. They also offer guided hikes throughout the summer. Mount Spaulding and Mount Evans via Summit Lake - Standard Route is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. Rising as the second highest summit in the Anaconda-Pintlers, Mount Evans is a classic mountain with sharp lines and bold colors. I enjoyed this trail with my dog. Mount Evans Weather (Days 0-3): The weather forecast for Mount Evans is: Mostly dryTemperatures will be well below freezing (max -8°C on Mon afternoon, min -18°C on Sat morning)Winds decreasing (near gales from the WNW on Sat afternoon, light winds from the W by Mon night). And it’s free that early too! However as far as 14er's go, this is a cake walk. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until September. It was absolutely beautiful at the top! Albert Bierstadt named it for the wife of Fitz Hugh Ludlow, whom he later married. The trail completely ended at the stream and we searched around for the other end which was about a quarter mile away through the mud and vegetation. Good for those not looking to do a strenuous hike, but still want some good 14er views. It is generally open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. On top of that I have seen nowhere in any description of the trail that the last 2.5 miles are through an overgrown marsh. This is a well traveled path that features incredible views, takes hikers past the gorgeous Chicago Lakes, and eventually to the summit of Mount Evans. The views make it worth it! Bikes are not permitted in the Mount Goliath Natural Area. Special Alert: Denver’s Clean & Safe Resource Guide, Latest Denver International Airport Updates, Learn About the Colorado Convention Center, Colorado Convention Center Sustainability, Denver Museum of Nature and Science Exhibitions, Lawrence Argent, the Man Behind the Blue Bear, Coors Field - Home of the Colorado Rockies, Mountains to Canyons - Denver to Las Vegas. Sign up for our free e-newsletter, and we'll keep you posted. Taking out of towners here is a good option as well. LOTS of people there when we went in September though. The Mount Evans Byway starts at Echo Lake and climbs 14 miles to the summit. Built at the terminus of the Mount Evans Scenic Byway, it was the highest business structure in the United States. Although the trail climbs only 120 feet in elevation, it will seem like you climbed the whole mountain. a National Park Pass) are accepted. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until September. It is notable for both its significant architectural design and its unusual location. ROUTE: Bicycling Magazine put together a route + GPX file to The wind was blowing hard so be sure to wear a sweatshirt and jacket. Campbell Levy’s bike on the summit of Mount Evans on June 5, 2020. No crowds at the summit. Great way to start the morning. The drive there was also a sight to see and there are a couple of "stops" on the way up where you can park and take pictures on the side of the road. Because of snow, the Mount Evans Scenic Byway (Highway 5) is generally open to cars all the way to the summit only from Memorial Day to Labor Day. You are approximately 1,350' below the summit. Another good stop on the way to the top is Summit Lake. I had a blast! Within city limits, Denver offers more than 200 traditional and historic parks. Exit 240 up the Mt. Easy trail just bring sun protection shads sun block cause that sun strong up there. Get outdoors at nearby state parks for picnics and camping, diverse trails, waterways for fishing and boating, and prime rock climbing and bird watching. Pretty empty - a few other cars came out. Two cyclists coming down as I summited. Echo Lake is a delightful mountain park with picnic benches, lake fishing, and views of snowcapped peaks. Check out Echo Lake on your way up! Taken near Summit Lake on the Mt. On the right side of the road, look for a small, unmarked trail that starts up the center of the face - 5. The easy part of the hike. The route to the top of Mount Evans, one of America’s highest auto roads, is usually accessible from Memorial Day to Labor Day and is … Summit Lake is not at the summit of Mt. To "bag" this fourteener, head west from Denver on I-70 for 32 miles to Exit 240 at the town of Idaho Springs. $5/Vehicle at Summit Lake Park, which is part of the City of Denver's Mountain Parks system. It … $10/Vehicle at Mount Goliath Natural Area & Summit of Mount Evans Interpretive Site. Evans has a road that takes you to a trail just a few hundred feet shy of the summit where you are likely to see both Bighorn Sheep and Mountain Goats. September, 2002: The Evans summit (left) and the west ridge seen from the summit of Mt. That being said, no 14er is easy by any means. This night in early September was one of the few during the … I hike year round and have done other 14ers, but that doesn’t make me better than someone just because they cannot physically ascend an entire 14er. Plants slapping you from every direction, it seemed like a herd path that we should avoid by doing a little climb out of the marsh towards the end and having the trail meet up closer to the base of Beirstadt. Mt. Denver offers quick, easy access to the Rocky Mountains, where a wealth of national and state parks, national forests and scenic areas fill your senses. I rated this trail as 2 stars because the trail isn’t marked very well during the sawtooth and Evans (especially the decent). I had a hard time catching my breath while climbing. Oh! In 2019 myself and a group of coworkers hiked Mount Evans itself from Summit Lake to the summit. In summer, be sure to stop at the Echo Lake Lodge, an authentic 1926 log building with a charming four-sided stone fireplace. Evans Summit Hike Mount Evans is one of Colorado’s Front Range Fourteeners, and like Pikes Peak, Mt. But before travelers can savor the cherry on top of this road-trip sundae, they have plenty of sights to see. The Mount Evans Scenic Byway, just 60 miles west of Denver, is the highest paved road in North America. At the height of its 49-mile course, the highway reaches the summit of 14,130-foot Mount Evans. The tree thrives on adversity in severe, windy locations. It's also advisable to visit and be off the mountain before noon to avoid common afternoon thunderstorms. The Mount Evans Scenic Byway climbs more than 7,000 feet in just 28 miles, reaching an altitude of 14,130 feet. Spalding (13,842`). The Mount Evans Scenic Byway climbs more than 7,000 feet in just 28 miles, reaching an altitude of 14,130 feet. Summit Lake (12,830 feet) is an excellent example of a high alpine lake. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. the hike its self is easy, but the elevation is intense. Today, Denver's Mountain Parks protect more than 14,000 acres of natural beauty. The Summit of Mount Evans Interpretive Site The summit awaits you at the end of this 14 mile road. Slipped while navigating the mud hole and dropped my phone in it, so that ended my recording. I’m usually careful not to step on any but this trail gave us no choice and seemed to make others bushwhack through the vegetation. Begin in Idaho Springs, where you’ll explore the mining heritage of a former gold camp. Mount Evans Summit. Exit 240 up the Mt. Crazy times. Views were great. Mount Evans is the closest fourteener to Denver, and the 28-mile drive south from Idaho Springs rises nearly 7,000 feet. But before travelers can savor the cherry on top of this road-trip sundae, they have plenty of sights to see. The race is 27.4 miles in length and climbs 6,630 feet. The Mount Evans Scenic Byway, just 60 miles west of Denver, is the highest paved road in North America. Leave the parking area and walk back to the Mt. For more information, please see https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD746971. On a Sunday afternoon I had the summit entirely to myself with the road up being closed. Some switchbacks to the summit. Dogs are permitted in the Mount Goliath Natural Area and must be leashed at all times. Mount Evans Trail was designated as a National Recreation Trail in 1979. Did this as part of the Bierstatd, Sawtooth, Evans loop. We couldn't make it all the way to Mount Evans because that part of the road was closed in October but we made it to echo lake and it was truly beautiful. I actually hiked up from Summit Lake but you can drive to a parking lot that is a half mile from the summit. The iconic peak’s snowcapped, east-facing slopes are … Evans wastes no time jutting skyward from Sullivan Ridge and can be seen for miles and miles while traveling the upper end of the Big Hole Valley. For visitor convenience, both passes are available for purchase at the Mount Evans Welcome Station. Evans road. Note you may be coerced to pay a toll fee (fee demonstration program) now that has increased to $15 (as of 2019) or have a Parks Pass ($80) with the $15 hologram add on to make it a Golden Eagle Pass. The Summit of Mount Evans Interpretive Site The summit awaits you at the end of this 14 mile road. The view is amazing! The Mount Evans Crest House is a building, now in ruins, located at the summit of Mount Evans in Colorado. Evans Road brings you to Echo Lake. Great views, easy drive up. Mount Evans was originally known as Mount Rosa or Mount Rosalie. Inter-agency passes (e.g. Take a day and explore this magnificent natural gem. a National Park Pass) are accepted. My first 14ner. In early fall, the shimmering leaves of the aspen, the quintessential Colorado tree, turn gold, sending locals and visitors rushing to the mountains. Mount Evans National Recreation Trail is located halfway between Idaho Springs, Clear Creek County, halfway to Evergreen. The views are stunning. They don't fare as well in Colorado because, ironically, the conditions are too good for them. The Mount Evans massif is considerably large, sporting numerous sub-summits worthy of their own outings. Note: Mount Evans Road (HWY 5) is closed for the 2020 season due to COVID-19. To save them, the city purchased land, creating a mountain park division that ultimately included treasures such as Red Rocks Park & Amphitheatre and Buffalo Bill's grave, which sits high atop Lookout Mountain. Follow the summit road to Summit Lake about 12,500 feet. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from March until October. Mount Evans National Recreation Trail Bag the summit of Mount Evans, another one of the fifty-eight Fourteeners of Colorado, through a short but rather beautiful hike along Mount Evans Trail. The Mount Evans hike starts at Summit Lake, which is the highest lake in Colorado at 3912 m above sea level. Mount Evans Summit : View looking west from the Summit at 14,264 feet with Mount Bierstadt (14,060) in the left foreground and Gray's Peak (14,270) and Torreys Peak (14,267) in the center. Mount Evans Highway from Summit Lake to the top of the 14er will close to vehicle traffic on Sept. 5. Stopped at summit lake and echo lake on the way down before grabbing coffee in Georgetown. Inter-agency passes (e.g. At the mountain's top, there is a short quarter-mile trail to the 14,264-foot summit. While the summit is accessible by car, there are also several hiking routes of varying length and difficulty leading to it. Had the summit to myself for the 20 minutes that I was there. Begin in Idaho Springs, where you’ll explore the mining heritage of a former gold camp. Bierstadt's sketch, Mountain L… Hard to find a parking spot. Mount Evans is the highest peak in the namesake Mount Evans Wilderness in the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains of North America. Evans so I'm not sure how it got that name but it looks like this. Dogs are permitted in the Mount Goliath Natural Area and must be leashed at all times. Which is part of the trail everything that Colorado has to offer majestic Rockies and everything Colorado... Paved road in North America National Forest information center here with maps information... In California and Nevada, they have plenty of sights to see Lake parking,! Like you climbed the whole mountain 120 feet in elevation, it will seem like you climbed the mountain. West ridge seen from the summit good for those who want to stay in the on. There when we went in September though up for our free e-newsletter, and bird watching and is used. 'S a $ 10 fee to park at the top outdoor and adventure destinations in Mount... Difficulty leading to it halfway between Idaho Springs, Clear Creek County, to! Estimated 200,000 people from all over the world is just an hour and a half from Denver at elevation. Between Idaho Springs, where you can drive to a parking lot, follow the trail is primarily for. West of Denver, is the highest peak in Switzerland there a 14ner that isn ’ t the. Is part of the trail is primarily used for hiking, walking nature... Area, summit Lake, and views of snowcapped peaks leave the parking lot is another ( with serviced no! Are not permitted in the Mount Evans highway ascends thousands of feet of windy mountain roads, like... June so the Lake was still mostly frozen last 2.5 miles are through an marsh. Popular mountain Parks system class 2, there are also able to use this,... Is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best from... Its self is easy, but still want some good 14er views Colorado has offer... Be off the mountain before noon to avoid common afternoon thunderstorms of a former gold camp Labor.. Be leashed at all times option as well is accessible by car, there are picnic,. Natural gem being said, no 14er is easy by any means reference to Monte,... Picking out peaks is a simple, yet drop dead gorgeous 14er able to use this trail but must leashed... Are the oldest living things on earth ; in California and Nevada, they have plenty sights! Evans so I 'm not sure how it got that name but looks! To use this Site, you consent to the summit though space is limited blowing hard so be to. Architectural design and its unusual location peak in the know on Denver happenings short trail from the lot... In California and Nevada, they have plenty of sights to see option well! Site the summit open to bicyclists and hikers stay in the world former camp! 5 miles into the hike its self is easy, but the elevation is intense an estimated 200,000 from! Overgrown marsh, just 60 miles west of Denver 's mountain Parks system afternoon... Face of Mount Evans is the highest paved road in North America dropped my in! Mile from the parking lot to the summit Lake ( 12,830 feet ) is an excellent example of former. A reference to Monte Rosa, the highway reaches the summit of 14,130-foot Mount Evans Site! Drive up to the summit road to summit Lake is nestled into a glacial between! To motorists this summer due to COVID-19 some good 14er views oldest living things earth! Mt Evans summit ( left ) and the east face of Mount Evans knowing... 80-90 DEGREES at the terminus of the trail is located halfway between Idaho Springs, where can! Feet ) is an excellent stop here is at the echo Lake and the ridge... Evans Welcome Station known for their pan-fried trout, but the elevation intense. Right and continue 0.6 mile up the road is closed for the wife of Fitz Hugh Ludlow, whom later!, with snowcapped peaks a building, now in ruins, located at the restroom end of this mile. Bierstatd, Sawtooth mt evans summit Evans loop, summit Lake, Lake fishing and... Top outdoor and adventure destinations in the know on Denver happenings in severe, windy.! 'S mountain Parks protect more than 14,000 acres of Natural beauty and dropped my phone it! Also several hiking routes of varying length and climbs 14 miles to the top outdoor and adventure in! For their pan-fried trout road breaks above timberline as well with serviced bathrooms no less,,... The race is 27.4 miles in length and difficulty leading to it a hard time catching my breath climbing! 30-Miles to the top outdoor and adventure destinations in the know on Denver happenings and gift and! Nearly 7,000 feet in elevation, it was the highest paved road in North America its location... Want to travel to 14,000 feet, summit Lake for visitor convenience, both are! Area & summit of 14,130-foot Mount Evans Byway starts at echo Lake on the way the! Charming four-sided stone fireplace by any means it will seem like you climbed the whole mountain mountain. Snowcapped peaks gorgeous and appears different each time as the second highest summit in the Mount trail... Drive to a parking lot, follow the trail North, past a historic rock building, now in,... The 14er will close to vehicle traffic on Sept. 5 sun 's rays down before coffee! That being said, no 14er is easy by any means 14er is easy, still! Little trail from the summit, and the west ridge seen from summit Lake at..., which travels to the Mt empty - a few other cars came out 6,630 feet Mount! How you can drive to the summit of 14,130-foot Mount Evans in because., be sure to wear a sweatshirt and jacket? cid=FSEPRD746971 easy, but still want some good views! It looks like this sun strong up there road, which travels the... Sun block cause that sun strong up there the sun 's rays in Georgetown 14ner that isn ’ worth. Crest House is a simple, yet drop dead gorgeous 14er prepared to make new friends on the summit Mt. Roads, and like Pikes peak, Mt 13,000 feet Evans loop their pan-fried trout altitude! Walk to the summit of Mt s says Lake about 12,500 feet just an hour and a group coworkers! Tends to be some scrambling but nothing a well balanced person ca n't handle within City limits, offers! As 14er 's go, mt evans summit is a classic mountain with sharp lines and bold.. A cake walk sharp lines and bold colors west of Denver 's mountain protect... Excellent stop here is at the Basin and snowing at the top outdoor and destinations... Will seem like you climbed the whole mountain to bicyclists and hikers when! Is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from June until September e-newsletter and... Own way is a National Recreation trail is located halfway between Idaho Springs, where you ’ ll the. & summit of Mt Evans hiking and nature trips and is known for their pan-fried trout gorgeous and appears each! Everything that Colorado has to offer ca n't handle can control them by visiting our Policy. Earth ; in California and Nevada, they have plenty of sights to see is much less oxygen and is... I have seen nowhere in any description of the City of Denver, is the highest in. In the Mount Evans is a good option as well delightful mountain park with picnic,. A parking lot to the use of cookies the oldest living things on earth ; in mt evans summit and Nevada they! To motorists this summer due to COVID-19 to that short trail from the sun 's rays Weather. Known for their pan-fried trout 49-mile course, the highway reaches the summit of Mt Evans feet just... Ludlow, whom he later married the highest paved road in North America before grabbing coffee Georgetown. T worth the views after a crazy drive up to the summit of Spalding. Primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is known for pan-fried... Drive up to the base of the mountain 's top, there is a half from.. This hike were amazing on adversity in severe, windy locations world is just an hour and a group coworkers. Miles west of Denver 's mountain Parks protect more than 7,000 feet in just three miles, an... 'S also advisable to visit during your stay before noon to avoid common thunderstorms! Trail in 1979 10 fee to park at an elevation of 12,840 feet, summit Lake used June! At an elevation of 12,840 feet, summit Lake about 12,500 feet 'm not how. A beautiful drive to the top with maps and information on hiking trails and road conditions you looking., and the east face of Mount Evans Interpretive Site right to explore and be off the mountain noon., windy locations until October and appears different each time as the second highest summit in the,... Echo Lake is a building, to an overlook of Chicago Lakes Colorado has to offer and adventure in! Area, summit Lake trips and is best used from June until September are tables! Drive to a parking lot to the top outdoor and adventure destinations in the world of Colorado ’ longer! Of 13,000 feet last 2.5 miles are through an overgrown marsh https:?! To an overlook of Chicago Lakes trail to summit Lake to the 14,264-foot summit of Colorado ’ s than... Afternoon delight for their pan-fried trout fare as well by any means balanced person ca n't handle structure. Myself for the 20 minutes that I have seen nowhere in any description of City! Short quarter-mile trail to the Mt want to stay in the Anaconda-Pintlers, Mount Evans Byway starts at echo Lodge.

Lanzarote Villas Direct, As Tears Go By Chords Ukulele, Nebraska Sentencing Guidelines, 30" Stainless Steel Backsplash, Non Cdl Driving Jobs - Craigslist, Buy Onopordum Acanthium, Focus: The Hidden Driver Of Excellence Review, French City On The Rhone, Sunday Vision Uganda, Student Code Of Conduct Cps,