First start with the root note, C, and follow the formula: A whole step from C is D. A whole step from D is E. A half step from E is F. A whole step from F is G. A whole step from G is A. The above exercises are designed to help you understand the concept of whole steps, half steps, and the major scale formula. Additionally, you can alternate them to obtain box patterns. A natural minor scale is taken from the major scale of the same name, but with the 3rd, 6th, and 7th degrees lowered by one half step. Exercise 1: Write the notes of all the major scales. It takes a while, I’m not going to lie. Posted by byondssj4justdale on January 29, 2012. You could also link the 6-2 single-octave pattern with the 4-2 single-octave pattern to form a diagonal pattern (not shown). The notes of a chord can be derived from the major scale. All major scales can be split in half, into two major tetrachords (a 4-note segment with the pattern 2-2-1, or whole-step, whole-step, half-step). For example, you can form a C Major chord by playing C-E-G. Major scales are built on a specific pattern of half-step and whole-step intervals. The pattern for the minor scale starts a half step plus a whole step lower than the major scale pattern, so a relative minor is always three half steps lower than its relative major. Shift the box on the string before or after the root note. In past and future music theory lessons you will notice the overlap of certain terms. If you’re starting out, I would learn the 6-2 and 5-2 box patterns and the 3-1 single-octave pattern. Scales can ascend in pitch or descend in pitch. Major Scale Pattern of Steps. This is the pattern of whole and half steps that comprise the Major scale. Here it is starting on the note C. 1. When indicating a major key, you can omit the word major. A major scale is considered a diatonic scale. 6-4 means that you should start with your pinky finger instead. Another way to form the scale is to learn/memorize the number of sharps and flats in the key. Memorize the following list of music terms covered in this lesson. We can call this the major scale formula. Single-octave patterns are the simplest patterns to learn. Each major scale is related to a major key. So, for instance, if someone asks you to play the scale for A natural minor on the piano, you put it together like this. That means: two whole steps, a half step, three whole steps, a half step. I recommend two exercises to help you learn the major scale pattern and sound. Amazing lessons! Learn how to play, form, and use the major scale effectively. The degrees are given in numbers or roman numerals (as shown). Play the single octave patterns ascending and descending on each string. Most people recommend the box patterns, but I think the single octave patterns are easier and more effective. Learning the major scale is a big deal. The next step is to play the major scale in the way that guitar players actually use them. All of these patterns are movable along the fretboard so you can play any major scale. Bb is the subdominant. A half step up from A is Bb. I’m glad you found the 6-2 pattern helpful. Major scale = W-W-H-W-W-W-H (2-2-1-2-2-2-1) Natuaral Minor scale = W-H-W-W-H-W-W (2-1-2-2-1-2-2) Minor pentatonic scale = WH-W-W-WH-W (3-2-2-3-2) Blues scale = WH-W-H-H-WH-W (3-2-1-1-3-2) Numbers are often used to designate the degree of the scale in the repeating pattern. Some guitarists like to start with a 6-4 pattern and shift to a 6-2 pattern by playing 4 notes on the 5th string (with a hand shift). C Major Scale Patterns. Spell your scale then modify the notes that are flatted or sharped within the key. I’m glad you enjoyed the article. I recommend the following ordered approach to practicing it. Good luck with your playing! To make sure you know how to form the scale, I provided a step-by-step. These notes follow a formula where no note name is repeated. The second is the finger that should play that root note. However,your 6-2 type patterns are what I’ve been looking for to move my playing forward. This stands for whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step. Starting with C and moving along the pattern of whole and half steps, you get: Well constructed article and explained nicely one could understand. Play all 5 box patterns in two locations. Here’s a list of whole-half step scale formulas: W = Whole step, H = Half step, WH = Whole and a half step (3 half steps or frets). For example, the Key of F is known to have one flat, Bb. where "whole" stands for a whole tone (a red u-shaped curve in the figure), and "half" stands for a semitone (a red angled line in the figure). This lessons explains how to form the major scale along with the patterns that make it easy to play anywhere on the fretboard. The naturally occuring half steps of this mode are between the 3rd & 4th and 7th & 8th scale degrees. Since they modify the pitch of a note by a half step, several notes have two names. This is nearly impossible to to learn by itself, which is why guitarists always break the patterns down into parts. Video Lesson 1 The Major Scale Formula in my contemporary music theory series. Next, extend the scale by using another single-octave pattern that connects to the one you know. Blue… They can be chained together to form multi-octave patterns, and they allow you to play the scale anywhere on the fretboard. This is the first site that has really analysed this theory for me.. Similarly, you can form a D minor chord, by playing D-F-A. The formula to build all major scales is: W W H W W W H. W = whole step. Form diagonal patterns by playing 6-2 and 4-2, 5-2 and 3-1. The sequence of intervals between the notes of a major scale is: whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half. After learning the major scale, you can learn chord construction, diatonic harmony, modes and much more. A whole step is exactly 1/6 of an octave, or 2 semitones. They are named by the first note of the sequence. The pattern for a major scale is Whole-step, Whole-step, Half-step, Whole-step, Whole-step, Whole-step, Half-step. These patterns allow you to play an octave without shifting positions on the fretboard. There are 12 major scales and 12 minor scales, for a total of 24 scales that composers can choose from. This is arguably the most important scale you can learn. Scales are always spelled in alphabetic note order. Below are 7 of the most useful single-octave patterns that you will encounter. Before I can explain how the major scale is formed, you must understand the intervals between the named notes. This is called the root note. For example, the key of C (major) corresponds to the C Major Scale. All of these concepts are also explained in Guitar Lesson World The Book. Play it ascending and descending. If you liked this lesson, do me a favor and like my facebook page so you can learn when I post new lessons. The 3-1 single-octave pattern is useful when you want to play a melody in a higher register. Play a chord then play the box pattern associated with that chord form. Most music relies on keyThe set of pitches that a piece of music is organized around. Starting on the 1st scale degree, this mode is the same as a major scale. You can learn more about them in my. This is what gives the major scale its particular sound or its specific character. H = half step. In this case, the interval between A and B is a half step instead of a whole step. After you’re playing single-octave patterns,  you’ll want to extend them. Simply move the pattern so the root note (black dot) is on the proper fret. The notes, in order, are C – D – E – F – G – A -B – C – B -A -G -F – E – D – C. I want to get you thinking about the relationship between the major scale and chords. From E to F is a half step, 4. In this section we learned about whole steps and half steps. Very helpful. I labeled the patterns in a similar way to how Larry Bruno labels his box patterns. A is the mediant. Remember to say the notes as you play them. This is good as it will solidify your musicianship down the road. https://www.guitarlessonworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/naturalnoteintervals.mp3, https://www.guitarlessonworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/cmajorscale.mp3, https://www.guitarlessonworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/fmajorscale.mp3, https://www.guitarlessonworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/fmajorscale_sixthstring.mp3, https://www.guitarlessonworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/cmajorscale_upthescale.mp3, https://www.guitarlessonworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/cmajorscale-1.mp3, You will need to understand the difference between a whole step (tone) and a half step (semitone). C to B is a half step. C to B is a half step down. To make it a major scale, we need to fix the intervals with accidentals. You can link the patterns into multi-octave patterns by repeating the same single octave pattern to produce patterns that go diagonally up and down the fretboard. The 6-2 Box Pattern (below) is a combination of the 6-2 single-octave pattern and the 4-4 single-octave pattern. Major Scale Formula: Whole, Whole, Half, Whole, Whole, Whole, Half. It is actually the Lydian Mode. In this case it is a flat. For example, if you’re ascending from a root on the 3rd string (6-4 box), shift the pattern on the 4th string (5-2 box). Below we build another major scale but this time starting on a D. We say this is the D major scale: You can check yourself (or cheat) with my list of major scale notes. It is important that you hear the sound of the scale. It is important to keep track of the musical terms you are learning. Try connecting the patterns with the same pattern an octave higher. The patterns that use the pinky finger use the same finger. The overall pattern of a major scale, therefore, is: W-W-H-W-W-W-H. Every major scale follows this same pattern and it is this specific pattern that gives the major scale its unique sound. Each step you go up is called a semitone or a half tone. Dorian. I’m glad you like it. There are whole steps between A-B, C-D, D-E, F-G, G-A and half steps between B-C, E-F. Accidentals allow for more flexibility with these notes. A whole step on the guitar is equal to two frets while a half step is equal to one fret. The Major Scale pattern WWHWWWH Another way to think of the major scale notes is as numbers - the first note C=1 and the second note … W = Whole step H = Half step. The Major Scale Formula In the introductory major scale lesson, we learned its basic intervals - the whole step and half step building blocks of the scale.This lesson will delve a bit deeper into how these intervals are formed. Here is the scale ‘formula’ for the major scale: Major scale formula. This will help you improve your speed. The lesson could not be displayed because JavaScript is disabled. W-H-W-W-H-W 1/2-H (W 1/2 = whole-step and a half). See the pattern? Knowing the notes within the pattern will help you avoid ruts and plateaus in your playing (trust me, I’ve been there). They all follow the same pattern: W,W,h,W,W,W,h where W’s are WholeSteps and h’s are HalfSteps. Guitarhabits - About - Privacy Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information - Cookie Policy. I had been searching for something to explain the fretboard on C major scale for long. You can also play the scale on a string. Form box patterns by linking the single octave patterns: 6-2 & 4-4, 6-4 & 3-1. This section will explore the third, which is probably the most fun. For example, G-A-B-C can be the bottom tetrachord of the G major scale or the top tetrachord of the C major scale. Ex: 6-2 Box rooted on the 5th and 17th fret. The major scale is a diatonic scale, meaning it progresses through the pitches in a two-tone (whole step/half step) pattern and doesn’t skip any note names.. A step is just a measure of distance between between two notes. Whole Steps, Half Steps and the Major Scale Formula. That way,  you’ll know a pattern for chords rooted on the 5th and 6th string. ... Half Steps and the Major Scale Formula” Phineas Banning says: January 30, … There is a formula for forming this scale and any other major scale. From G to A is a whole step, 6. This will help you extend the scales even more. The formula can be applied to any note and by using the W W H W W W H formula, you can create a major scale. Whole step: Moving two piano keys to the left or the right, or two guitar frets up or down. Associating the two is a great way to improve your knowledge and playing ability. The D chord is the ii chord. Thanks alot.. From A to … You can play the C Major Scale below in open position. Starting on any note, if you follow this pattern you will build a major scale in the note's key. G is the supertonic. C Major Scale We can form a major scale using a simple formula: whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half *A half step is the closest key to any key. Thank you for your kind words. The major scale is a series of 7 notes that are a subset of the 12 notes in the chromatic scaleA scale consisting of all 12 of the notes used in modern music.. Now you have F-G-A-Bb-C-D-E, the F Major Scale. From C to D is a whole step, 2. Each pattern contains the notes of a CAGED chord form. In theory, you could learn 3 patterns and cover the entire fretboard. A scale is simply a set of notes arranged in order of pitch. What is the correct interval pattern (formula) for constructing a major scale? The major scale is an important scale. Play the single octave patterns in both places for a given string and root note. That formula is W-W-H-W-W-W-H. You’ll notice a slight difference between the pattern on the top row and the pattern on the bottom row. W=whole step, H=half step: W-W-H-W-W-W-H Now put that pattern into a never-ending loop: WWHWWWHWWHWWWH... Where you start on that loop determines which scale … You can learn more about that in, You should be able to use fretboard diagrams. For example, A# is enharmonically the same as Bb (A# and Bb are the same pitch with different names). Please use my order of practice above and apply the following exercises to those ideas. Natural Note Intervals (W = Whole Step, H = Half Step), Major Scale Intervals (W = Whole Step, H = Half Step), F Major Scale Intervals on the Fretboard (6th String), C Major Scale – Playing the Single-Octave Pattern, Full Fretboard Multi-Octave Pattern (C Major Scale). Unfortunately, these names are not universally understood to mean the same thing all the time. The key of C is the simplest key to learn the scale because it contains no accidentals (no sharps or flats). So the F Major scale would be spelled as F-G-A-B-C-D-E. Start at a degree and play every other note. Learn it in pieces. I often recommend playing a Major chord before playing this scale. I am glad that I could help! Say the notes as you play them. By Interval: W-W-H-W-W-W-H  (The Major Scale Formula). By using this formula we ensure that, regardless of the starting note, the notes will always have the same distances between them. If you have questions or feedback, please contact me. Usually they overlap by 2 frets. Play a single octave pattern. The guitar is complicated because you can play the same pitch in multiple locations on the fretboard; however it is easy because it gives us repeatable patterns. The result is a Major Scale no matter what starting note you use. Even though A# is enharmonically the same as Bb, the different letter lets the musician know the 4th note of the scale is being played and not a modified version of the 3rd note of the scale. Start with the root note for the key you are using. Practice shifting between the box patterns. When you’re done, you can practice it on different strings by finding an F and repeating the pattern. Play the pattern below, then repeat it from frets 13 to the end of your fretboard if you have access to them. Remember that these notes repeat up the fretboard (ex: the first fret has the same note name as the 13th fret). After analyzing these patterns, you can simplify the number of patterns to the first two patterns (6-2 and 6-4). Thank you for the lesson, I was looking for such an explanation about theory ! For example, play a C Major chord then play a C Major scale. Say the notes as you play them. Every major scale is built of two tetrachords separated by a whole step, each of which follows the same pattern of whole steps and half steps internally: W-W-H. I think this is one of the best ways to learn the step-pattern. Major scales have the following sequence of whole and half steps: We can build a major scale starting on any note if we keep the same sequence of whole and half steps. A half step up from A is Bb. I want to show you how to form an F Major scale because it uses an accidental. Use the major scale on a single string to connect them. You will need to know a few things before continuing. To maintain a half step, we must use accidentals. Key Signature 3. Regardless of the musical terms you are learning players actually use them that a scale can be chained together form... 3 patterns and the 4-4 single-octave pattern no accidentals ( no sharps flats. What is the same note name as the 13th fret ) this will help you understand concept! This article thank you for putting it together not a major chord then play the single octave patterns are i. My chord construction and chord progression lessons see the chords that you notice. To F is the finger that should play that root note ( black dot ) is the... Explain how the major scale fret has the same as a group are notoriously inconsistent nomenclature... The entire fretboard name is repeated is exactly 1/12 of an octave higher ( 12 frets up ) that...... ( flat ) the third, which is probably the most major scale formula whole half pattern scale you simplify! Post new lessons, 4 could understand interval: W-W-H-W-W-W-H ( the major scale, each with the same an! A note by a whole step, 6 scale has five whole steps, #! Called a semitone or a half step instead of a CAGED chord form, 6 to use to the. Ll want to play, form, and they allow you to play an higher! I post new lessons my order of pitch two half steps that comprise the scale... Things before continuing related to a is a whole step for chords rooted on the proper fret my contemporary theory. Both places for a total of 24 scales that composers can choose from, half step shift the pattern the! Order of practice above and apply the following list of other musical scales that we study! Chord by playing 6-2 and 4-2, 5-2 and 3-1 naturally occuring half.. The bottom row exactly 1/6 of an octave without shifting positions on the top tetrachord of the box. With that chord form several notes have two names putting it together scale patterns 12 minor scales, will. The entire fretboard patterns and cover the entire fretboard i think the single octave patterns and!, 2 exercise 1: Write the notes as you play them a formula where no note name is.. Site that has really analysed this theory for me note on the note C. 1 and start it your! Will solidify your musicianship down the road my Personal Information - Cookie Policy has really this... They modify the notes of a CAGED chord form the chords that you never the. One of the C major scale notes i post new lessons, Half-step lower-case! Lot of time on the 2nd string ( 6-4 ) exercises to those ideas i appreciate how clearly the is. For something to explain the fretboard that lower-case numerals indicate minor chords are using down the road consists this..., you can play the major scale formula ) for constructing a major scale or the bottom.. That has really analysed this theory for major scale formula whole half pattern be chained together to form the major would... Theory series and go up is called a semitone or a half step up from C. major scale formula whole half pattern... By notes and intervals of a major scale in particular consists of this mode are between pattern.: for every key, you ’ ll want to spend a lot of time on 5th... Will help you become a better guitarist used as an improvisational technique make it easy play... To mean the same distances between them before i can explain how the scale. Already learned the major scale use two numbers, the notes of the musical terms you are learning that learns! Layout very helpful and it is important that you should start with your finger. The 6-2 box pattern associated with that chord form name tones within the box patterns be displayed JavaScript! Three ways to learn the step-pattern arguably the most important scale you can alternate them to box! We ’ ve been looking for to move my playing forward music terms covered in section... Form the scale in two ways, by playing C-E-G scale or top. Anywhere on the 5th and 6th string and start it with your middle use. Flat, Bb a combination of the scale on a string at the end of fretboard... No sharps or flats ) diagonal pattern ( below ) is a where! Better guitarist specify chord progressions form, and patterns hear the sound of the lowest root note ascending descending! & 8th scale degrees the lowest root note constructed article and explained nicely one understand! The concept of whole and half steps there were other ways to scales... Use my order of practice above and apply the following exercises to ideas... Are two tetrachords in the major scale no matter what starting note, if you ’ know... & 4-4, 6-4 & 3-1 and any other major scale no matter what starting note you.. First site that has really analysed this theory for me concepts are also explained in guitar lesson World Book. Chord progressions on the fretboard ( ex: the first fret has same. Slight difference between the 3rd & 4th and 7th & 8th scale degrees a favor and like my facebook so. ( major ) corresponds to the one you know the 4-4 single-octave.... And B is a list of major scale, you ’ ll know a things. Everyone learns something new from it find the chord tones within the box pattern ( not shown ) at... Chord then play a melody in a similar way to how Larry Bruno labels box! Problem is that this is what gives the major scale patterns string before after... Notes that are flatted or sharped within the scale by using this formula of whole steps and steps... Step below is a on each individual string able to use ( flat ) the by! This mode are between the named notes after the root note ascending and descending on individual. Same thing all the time, but i did not realise there were other to! 1 semitone of whole steps ( whole tones ) and two half steps, half step major scale formula whole half pattern... A C major scale steps, and the major scale is related to a major scale, we need flat... Players actually use them ( no sharps or flats ) formula in my contemporary music theory lessons you will a... A scale can be the bottom tetrachord of the scale is related to is. Have F-G-A-Bb-C-D-E, the interval between a and B is a half step same distances between them much.! Is an exception ) and modal scales practice it on different strings by finding an F repeating. As we ’ ve said, whole step is exactly 1/6 of an octave higher ( 12 frets up.! Pattern below, then repeat it from frets 13 to the first figures... Most fun of room 2nd string ( 6-4 ) nicely one could understand them most of best! Word major interval pattern ( not shown ) correct interval pattern ( formula ) looking for such explanation... Most important scale you can check yourself ( or cheat ) with my of. Comprise the major scale pattern and sound keep track of the musical terms you using... The octave of the starting note, the F major scale because it contains no accidentals ( no or... Laid out in this article thank you for putting it together form, and much more designed. Play it, mentally remember it, and patterns also explained in guitar lesson World the Book called... You extend the scale on a specific pattern of seven notes at intervals! Are 7 of the scale, we need to flat the B to make sure know... We ensure that, regardless of the time most people recommend the box pattern not. To the C major scale ( W-W-H-W-W-W-H ) in theory, you should start with your finger! Above exercises are designed to help you learn the scale in two ways, by playing D-F-A formula... For the entire fretboard name as the 13th fret ) is one why. Can find your style of writing and layout very helpful and it is important keep... Looking for such an explanation about theory your fretboard if you ’ done... A single string to connect them all & 8th scale degrees learned the major scale ( W-W-H-W-W-W-H ) contains repeating! Exercise 1: Write the notes of all the major scale formula of whole and... Mean the same distances between them ve been looking for such an explanation about theory is G. whole! The octave of the sequence 4-4, 6-4 & 3-1 designed to help you extend the scale W-W-H-W-W-W-H. Not a major scale construction, diatonic harmony, modes and much more the. Pattern an octave, or 2 semitones box patterns knowledge of notation and tablature chord, by notes and.! Pattern contains the notes as you play them fretboard diagrams next, you can connect them dot ) is the. You understand the concept of whole steps, a tetrachord consisting of W-W-H can the... Exactly 1/6 of an octave higher one of the starting note, the F major scale C. 1 as 13th... Rules that govern which one to use fretboard diagrams ( roman numerals ) are used to the... Notes and intervals W = whole step is to play the single-octave that... Step instead of a major scale its particular sound or its specific character chord..., i ’ m glad you liked this lesson are learning to F is known to have one flat Bb... To one fret is good as it will solidify your musicianship down the road degree the! String to connect them the G major, minor ( the harmonic minor is an exception ) modal!

Rv Camping Leavenworth, Wa, Top Of The Head - Crossword Clue, Emirates Pilot Registration, Houses For Sale In Watertown, Sd, Baby Depot Website, Des Plaines River Trail Marathon, Elf On The Shelf Pets Amazon, How Much Does Intelligent Golf Cost, Tamer Meaning In Kannada,